I. Am. Canadian.

by Carolyn on February 13, 2010

The Olympics are here.  Not just here, but actually HERE, in my country.  The 2010 Winter Games are now open and I’m not sure if I can even express in words how proud I am right now to be able to call myself Canadian.

Unfortunately, we Canadians can sometimes be perceived as lacking patriotism, especially when compared to our neighbours to the south.  But I rather think that our citizenship is such an integral part of who we are as Canadians, that we simply don’t tend to single it out as a separate entity.  Last night, there was an entire nation waiting and watching how we would present ourselves to the world.  For we are proud of our nation and we are proud to show the world the beauty of Vancouver and Whistler.  And although the games and the opening ceremonies were shrouded in a cloak of sadness, our pride shone bright.

My heart swelled last night with the love for my country and my countrymen.  But I thought it might actually burst as I listened to Shane Koyczan’s oration of his poem ‘We are more’.  If you missed it, give it a listen.  It doesn’t disappoint.
We are more by Shane Koyczan

We are proud.  We are true.  We are Canadian.  Welcome!

1 Urchin February 13, 2010 at 11:06 am

As a reluctant American (a Faux Canuck as I tend to call myself), please let me explain something to you. Most “patriotic” Americans aren’t. They slap a flag on their car, and shout the National Anthem at the top of their lungs (what they remember of it anyway) and bounce around crying foul when someone say’s something ‘bad’ about the States. It’s a fashion. There’s very little, if ANY actual pride in these people for where they’re from. And what they know about the country they live in… is mostly lies or half truths.

I want, more than most things, to have a pride in my country, in the government, and in it’s people. I don’t, though. I can’t. I’m ashamed of where I’m from, and the false ring of the patriotic bell. I want to be able to stand up, though. I want to lift my head high instead of bowing it low.

I. Want. To. Be. Canadian.

I want the kind of joy you had watching the opening ceremonies last night. I want to be what Shane Koyczan is talking about in his poem. So I envy you, Carolyn, and a good chunk of your readers. I envy you what you have up in the Great White North.

2 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

You really should come up and visit sometime. We could hang out all afternoon in a Tim Horton’s drinking coffee and scarfing down Aero bars and Coffee Crunch. Come on! You know you want to! ;)

3 Urchin February 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Temptress!

Where’s that job I applied for….

4 Liz February 13, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Strange thing is – Windsor is just across the river from me and I sometimes forget that we are actually in different countries. I love my Canadian neighbors and there have been many political conversations I’ve been in when I have said, “Well in Canada…”.

In my short residence in Windsor, I whole-heartedly accepted: “eh”, Players, and Tim Hortons (not to mention: “about”, “house”, etc) – and even after all of these years I’m sometimes mistaken as being from across the river because of my pronouncation. Don’t get me wrong, I love America – but my heart is big enough to love you guys too ;)
.-= Liz´s last blog ..Seashells & Straw Hat =-.

5 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Thanks Liz. As always, I love reading your perspective.

6 Tammy February 14, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Great post Carolyn. I love that poem. I too was bursting with pride watching the opening ceromonies. I loved that it wasn’t just one person to light the flame. I am a truely proud Canadian! Urchin there is always room for more in our country and our tables like the poem says.

7 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

He really is an amazing orator and he did a fabulous job. I hadn’t heard the piece before and I’m so thankful to the Vancouver Olympic Committee for including it in the opening ceremony. It was a perfect poem to express ‘Canada’ on a world stage.

8 Urchin February 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Tammy,

I hope to one day take Canada up on that. I have to make the boy fall in love with the place first. Shouldn’t be hard. I could always point out that it’s where most of the shows he watches are filmed.

9 Angelia Sims February 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Some wonderful Canadians have influenced my life in very positive ways. I am PROUD to call you country neighbor and friend.

Great tribute and WONDERFUL ceremony. I’m really enjoying the Olympics in Vancouver (a place I have always wanted to go).

Proud of you Carolyn!

10 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Angelia, I’ve never been there either, but I plan to. It’s just so gorgeous. I’m glad you’re enjoying the games. I can’t get enough of them!

11 Betsy February 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Totally, eh?

It’s exciting.
.-= Betsy´s last blog ..Birth Performance Anxiety, or, unassisted in a yurt with Enya in an owl-sanctuary =-.