The Soundtrack of My Life

by Carolyn on January 23, 2010

Thome Yorke of Radiohead

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

One of my first posts was entitled Anthems.  In it, I shared my personal anthems and wrote about the connection between our music preferences and the essence of who we really are.  Here’s an excerpt:

“..music establishes a truly emotional connection with each of us.  And that connection makes our music preferences a very personal thing.  When someone asks you ‘what kind of music do you like?’ they are in a way asking ‘who are you?’.”

It’s so true, isn’t it?  And just as who we are changes from year to year, season to season, so do our music preferences.  Even if your anthem doesn’t change, you may find a new song that becomes your personal battle cry or lullaby, depending on your state of mind.  I found that when I started this blog, my anthems shifted.  Suddenly one band seemed to sing straight to my soul.  The Muse songs I listed then are all still anthems of mine, but I’m feeling another shift taking place these days.

This time the shift isn’t to anything new.  It’s not that a newly discovered song or band has caught my attention and dominated my mp3 player.  I think I’ve mentioned in a few posts that I’m a fan of Radiohead.  Their music is like ‘old faithful’ to me.  Whatever mood I’m in, I enjoy listening to them.  Their music is bold and rich in rhythm, movement, and lyric.  To be honest, none of their songs have ever become anthems of mine because quite frankly with the exception of Creep, I usually don’t have a clue what they are actually singing about.  I get clips and phrases, but the overall statement is sometimes lost.  Despite that, their music has always captivated me.  And now I find myself skipping through every playlist I have on my iPod to get to certain tracks of theirs.  Suddenly, the obscurity of their lyrics is lending me the ability to funnel all my feelings into them.  I’m applying my own interpretation and in the process finding kindred spirits in them.

I think these new obsessions of mine reflect some of the cycles I’m seeing in my life.  I guess old cycles have pulled forth these old favorites and made them new again for me.  Or something like that.

Just like last time, I’m going to include my new favorites for you.  I’ll apply the same disclaimer.  I’m not trying to influence anybody’s music taste, but how annoying would it be to read me droning on about these songs while not actually getting to hear them for yourself?

15 Step – Cycles.  “How come I end up where I started?  How come I end up where I went wrong?  Won’t take my eyes off the ball again.  You reel me out then you cut the string.”  This song cuts pretty deep for me.

Just – Sometimes I’m singing it to myself, sometimes I’m singing it to someone else who can’t even hear me.  Either way, I’m singing it.  It’s swirling through my head far to often for me to comfortably admit.  I find I’m able to channel so much angst through this track that when it gets to the guitar interlude I can’t keep myself from dancing.  Even if it’s just a head bob.  Is it possible not to move to this song?

High and Dry – We all have a fear of this don’t we?  Of being left high and dry in a relationship?  Especially if we felt we’ve been left that way before?  Although I’ve read that Radiohead themselves never really liked this one, I’m loving it more and more.  One of the band members was quoted as saying that this song was for all the old people who don’t like loud music.  Maybe it’s reflective of my middle age.  Or maybe it appeals to us older people because we have more experience at actually being left high and dry.

My Iron Lung – I love the musical dichotomy of this song.  It reflects my life in that way.  On my date last weekend, my husband asked me how I felt about my life right now.  My answer was that it was hard to explain because in so many ways I was happy and content but in one way I was still struggling and it was difficult to keep the struggle from overshadowing my happiness.  The sweet melody that breaks into hard spastic guitar riffs and back again fits so well with me right now.  The cynical nature of the lyrics resonate too.  Thank god for my kids, husband, job, friends and family – my iron lung amidst the BS.

Karma Police – I think it speaks for itself.  The last two verses speak to me.

Oh yeah, and just for fun….I can’t get enough of this Lady Gaga song right now.  So. Much. Fun.

New anthems? I don’t know.  But definitely reflections of me.  These are a part of my life’s soundtrack right now.

So….what’s on your life’s soundtrack these days?

1 WhiteSockGirl January 24, 2010 at 3:06 am

I am just so easy when it comes to music. Ok, I am easy in lots of other ways,.. but that is not the point.

I listen to almost all kinds of music,… my CD collection is just insane. But I do have my favorites,.. Alicia Keys, of course DUH, top that list. The lyrics, out of this world. ‘Tell you something..’ and ‘Lesson Learned’ (with gorgeous John Mayer),.. without a doubt the soundtracks of my life. Right now. Had been for a while now.

2 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

I love Alicia Keys and John Mayer too!

3 Theta Mom January 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

I love Lady Gaga, and Bad Romance is the best song! I agree, we do go through life cycles and music is right there with us and certain songs spark a memory of where you were in your life at a certain point.

In fact, my hubs and I were in the car yesterday with our kids and out of nowhere, our wedding song came on the radio. It reminded us about a time when we were just kids ourselves, dating and having fun…this would make for a great post! If I get arond to writing it, I’ll totally link back. :)
.-= Theta Mom´s last blog ..I Have a Chotchkie Drawer and I Know How to Use It =-.

4 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

No problem Heather! I enjoyed seeing your selection.

5 Jen @ After The Alter January 24, 2010 at 10:18 am

Great post! I just did a similar one and chose the knew Michael Buble song “just haven’t met you yet” because it rang true for my TTC efforts. It’s so true how much music and bring on emotion. Great song!

6 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’ll have to check out that song!

7 Yaya January 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I just love music!!! It’s so therapeutic!
.-= Yaya´s last blog ..Yaya Crunk Dance Lesson =-.

8 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Oh I know you do, Yaya!

9 Trish January 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I love Karma Police…one of my fav radio head songs….all of Lady Gagas songs are great! Great post!

I would love to do one too!!

Stopping in from SITS!

10 Maya January 25, 2010 at 1:06 am

I don’t know if I’ve got a current soundtrack, but I love GooGoo Dolls and Dave Matthews Band :-)

11 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oooh! I love those bands too!

12 Steph January 25, 2010 at 7:03 am

I love this post! I have so many “anthems” for every kind of occasion. I might borrow this idea!

…stopping by from SITS…

Steph @ A Grande Life
.-= Steph´s last blog ..Three down. Ninety-seven to go. =-.

13 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

No problem!

14 Melissa @Cellulite Investigation January 25, 2010 at 8:19 am

For me, it’s Taylor Swift. I’m amazed that she writes all her own songs and that they connect with so many different kinds of people. I heard that even Lady Gaga is a fan. You can’t get much more contrast than that!

(Stopping by from SITS. I love the name of your blog!)
.-= Melissa @Cellulite Investigation´s last blog ..The Methods to Our Cellulite-Investigating Madness =-.

15 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 9:00 am

I like Taylor Swift too. And Lady Gaga is a fan? Wow, what a dichotomy indeed!

16 Jeannie January 25, 2010 at 9:49 am

Just stopping by from SITS.
.-= Jeannie´s last blog ..30 Day Shred =-.

17 The Cookie Girl January 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

Stopping by from SITS on this beautiful day! Have a great week.
.-= The Cookie Girl´s last blog ..Yeast Dough and Cinnamon Buns =-.

18 Amanda January 25, 2010 at 10:21 am

My favorite of Radiohead’s is “High and Dry”. There is something sad but yet beautiful about the song.

An artist that I have been listening to lately that seems to be emoting my inner struggles as of recent is Florence and the Machine. She is forthright and quirky.

I love blog posts about music. I agree, it tells you something about a person.
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..SAG Awards =-.

19 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 9:01 am

I’ll have to check out Forence and the Machine. I haven’t heard them (that I know of) yet.

20 Rachel Cotterill January 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

I often let the radio decide on the soundtrack for my life. One major exception to that is when I’m writing (fiction) – I have very specific songs which capture particular emotions perfectly for me, and I keep them on hand to match up with what feelings I’m trying to evoke in my writing.
.-= Rachel Cotterill´s last blog ..A Very Long Path =-.

21 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’m always amazed when people can write to music. Music can get me in the right frame of mind, but then I need quiet actually do the writing. Isn’t it interesting how we all have a different process?

22 Alexis Mullino January 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I just wanted to say I love your blog layout, it speaks numbers just visually.
.-= Alexis Mullino´s last blog ..Monday’s Excerpts – Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley =-.

23 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

Thanks Alexis!

24 Tammy January 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Still trying to think of my anthems!lol I love Radiohead and loved them in concert ot the State theatre. Great choices of songs!

25 Carolyn February 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

Thanks Tammy!

26 Maricris of Zen MamaVentures January 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I agree. Our taste of music captures the essence of who we are. Well said.

27 Melissa B. January 26, 2010 at 5:41 am

Music is my soul, my heart. Great post! SITS sent me by, and I’m glad they did…

After the Storm
.-= Melissa B.´s last blog ..I Need a Sugar Daddy… =-.

28 Denise@TogetherWeSave January 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Ok showing my age here…. My girls enjoy Lady Gaga alot.

29 Angelia Sims February 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Jason and I met for our first date to go see Radiohead in concert. I only knew one song. BEST CONCERT EVER! I am HUGE fan now and have all the CDS. I love them. They are amazing to watch. If you ever get a chance to see them live. DO.

30 Carolyn February 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm

What a first date! Radiohead in concert must be amazing.

31 Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip February 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

This is such an awesome post!! And so funny, because I did a post so similar last week too. Mine was called “That’s My Anthem.” My hubby inspired me when he came home singing “I look fly I look good” and told me that it was his “anthem.” It got me thinking about what my anthem would be…Here’s a link to my post if you want to check it out sometime. Hope you are having a great week!! Your blog is super rockin.

32 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thanks!

33 Shelle February 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

Great post!! I love music & how hearing a certain song can transport you back to a different time in your life. I always associate the Doobie Brothers or Aerosmith with my childhood since those are some of the bands my dad liked. My own persinal “go to” musician is Jimmy Buffett, he’s got a song for everything!!

Hope you have a good day! Stopping by from SITS!

34 Carolyn February 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Those are all great musical choices. And yes, music can do amazing things.