Birthday parties and other fun stuff…

by Carolyn on October 3, 2009

Gotta love that face!

Gotta love that face!

Our regularly scheduled posts will be back shortly.  I’ve run into a bit of a glitch called ‘my daughter’s first birthday party’ and it’s putting a serious kink in my bloggy time. :)  I feel badly for not posting something really new, fresh and exciting for you to read; like the final post in my PAS series ‘The spectrum of parental alienation’ or a post I’ve been thinking about called ‘My job and my ACOD tendencies’, or the post you’ll read shortly highlighting one the best websites I’ve found for divorced families.

Nope, nothing cool like that here.  But I will leave you with something.

With our impending birthday celebration, I keep thinking about a post I wrote as a ‘How To’ for us adult and grown children of divorce, as a guide for throwing your kid a birthday party and having everyone survive the night.  When all of a sudden both of your parents and possibly step parents or significant others all have to be in the same house together, things can be a bit dicey.  Or funny.  I tried to be funny with the post.  I know I always laugh when I get to the ‘stink eye’ part (thanks, Juno).

Go on…check it out.

But I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no comedian.  Although I really wish I was because I think comedians are the coolest people around.  If you want to see something really funny done by actual comedians, you have to check out this skit I found on YouTube.  Try to not get the song stuck in your head.  I know I still find myself humming it from time to time with a great big smile on my face.  Oh, and this skit might only really be funny to us children of divorce.  For all you divorced parents and step parents….you’ve been warned.  But hey, as I titled that post – Take a moment and laugh at yourself.  I know I like to, from time to time.

Go straight to the professional laugh makers.

Enjoy the laughs.  See you again Monday!

Carolyn

1 Mimi October 4, 2009 at 8:28 am

you have a legitimate excuse for lack of blogging. I, alas, do not. You are allowed. We’ll be here when you get back.
.-= Mimi´s last blog ..Preventing Psychosis =-.

2 Tammy October 4, 2009 at 8:41 am

That is one beautiful baby! Happy birthday to her!
.-= Tammy´s last blog ..It’s a Dog’s Life =-.

3 Angelia Sims October 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for the links, those were great! Happy Birthday to that precious little girl. One is such a milestone. Enjoy!!!
.-= Angelia Sims´s last blog ..Sunday healthy reflection =-.

4 Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Angelia!

5 bad mummy October 4, 2009 at 11:03 pm

How about some advice on hosting a birthday party as co-parents? The Mook’s 4th birthday party is in 2 weeks and I’ve def hit some stumbling blocks in trying to co-host with The Former Mr.

6 Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hmm, now that’s a hard one. I don’t know how much advice I could really give since I’m not a co-parent myself. I’m going to go check out the archives at coparenting101 and see if I can find something there for you. I can only imagine how difficult that must really be!

7 Helen McGinn October 5, 2009 at 3:59 am

Hi, stopped by from SITS; your blog is really interesting to me, so I’m glad I did. Just finished having my daughter’s birthday party too but she has just turned 10. The years fly by…..

8 Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I know. My son will be 5 this year. I don’t know where the time goes….

9 Mary RC October 5, 2009 at 5:02 am

birthday bashes and divorced parents can take the wind out of all our blogger sails. found you via sits. happy monday.
.-= Mary RC´s last blog ..Coming of Age =-.

10 Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for stopping by Mary! I actually *love* planning and executing birthday bashes. If I could make a living doing it, I would. ;)

11 Blond Duck October 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Popped in from SITs again! She’s so precious. Real life should always come before blogging. :)
.-= Blond Duck´s last blog ..The Return of Miss Pickles 4 =-.

12 Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Thanks! I’ll need to make a return trip to the pond!