Hey, has anyone seen Carolyn?

by Carolyn on September 15, 2009

Steve showing Nolan some moves

Steve showing Nolan some moves

Sorry.  No insightful essay today.  As much as I really wanted to produce one, I simply ran out of time.  Drat.

I have gone back to work.  My lovely hiatus in the name of all things baby has ended and I am transitioning back into ‘working mom’ mode.  My kids have been wonderful and are making it as easy as possible, but there’s one thing that even they can’t conrol.  Time.  And in the end there just isn’t enough.

Now I’m not trying say that I won’t be writing anymore.  Or even that I plan to slow down.  But for a long while there I was posting every or second or third day and that pace is going to kill me if I try to keep it up.  I just wanted you all to know that I’m no dead beat blogger.  I’m just time strapped and slowing down a tad through this transition.  But I’m doing my best.  My last post was typed almost in it’s entirety in a hockey arena amongst the other hockey mom’s and dad’s.  I even typed as my fingers were getting numb from the cold, enduring many a strange glance between sips of steaming coffee.  Fun times.

So I apologize for not having something better today.  My best hope now is Friday.  I promise you’ll have something new and much more interesting than this little blurb in just a few short days.

In other news, this site is undergoing a redesign process right now!  I’m so excited, but the process is a bit slow and tedious (only because I’m neurotic and picky) but I’m hoping it will be done by the end of the month.  I’ve been slowly introducing some changes in preparation.  Check out my archives page!  I love that one, especially with the featured content rotator in the top right.  I’m also planning on switching to a static home page or ‘landing page’ with a tab in the navigation bar to get to this blog page.  Just wait!  One day you are going to come here and be knocked off your chair by the changes!

For now, I started a facebook page for The Grown Up Child.  Click on the icon to the right to visit and please join!  I was thinking of doing a newsletter, but then I thought who wants more clutter in their inbox?  So this is where I’ll keep readers informed of upcoming topics I’ve been mulling over, give links to great articles I’ve found that I haven’t had a chance to write about and take post suggestions as well.  I hope it will be an interactive area for readers to discuss things and for me to get in on the action too!

Speaking of interacting and readers….My beloved forum has become a bit stagnant.  I hear lots of crickets chirping instead of lively discussion :).  I’m going to have to think about how to kick start that again.  In the meantime, feel free to peruse and post at your leisure.

Okay, it’s time for me to make lunches, pack up breakfasts, lay out clothes and run the dishwasher.  Don’t worry, I’ll find my balance soon.  As a special treat, I’ll leave you with a short video that has nothing to do with divorce!  A friend of mine posted it on Facebook and it’s the biggest group dance I’ve ever seen!  It’s from Oprah’s kick off show for the season (not why I like it so much) and features the Black Eyed Peas (part of the reason I like it so much) and a huge crowd performing the biggest flash mob dance (seriously, it’s like 21,000 people dancing together).  Keep your eyes on the lady who’s dancing like she’s off her rocker.  Enjoy!

1 Eva Gallant September 16, 2009 at 1:15 am

You are a busy lady! Good luck with your transition. Hope it all falls into place!

just stopped by from SITS to say hi; hope you’ll do the same.

2 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Eva!

3 Liz McLachlan September 16, 2009 at 6:48 am

Good luck re-entering the workforce…I have been there myself. AND I know you will find you balance – we all do in sme way or another :)

Love, love, love the new changes implemented on your site and a fb group – excellent idea! I’m not quite there yet myself, but what great changes have occured in a small amount of time! Can’t wait to see what else you have in store!

Best~Liz
.-= Liz McLachlan´s last blog ..To working moms – Happy Monday! =-.

4 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks Liz! I think my designer is totally fed up with me, but what can I do? I’m liking the changes too. Just wait. I’m hoping it’s great when all is said and done. ;)

5 Sassy Chica September 16, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I agree you in quit the transition, best of luck finding your balance.
Smooches,
Sassy Chica
.-= Sassy Chica´s last blog ..Be Different =-.

6 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks. Balance is coming. I feel it starting already.

7 WhiteSockGirl September 17, 2009 at 1:55 am

Now I’m not trying say that I won’t be writing anymore. Or even that I plan to slow down. But for a long while there I was posting every or second or third day and that pace is going to kill me if I try to keep it up. I just wanted you all to know that I’m no dead beat blogger.

I so understand what you are saying! Sometimes I feel that blogging is no longer my passion, no longer fun. At times it feels like a chore. And the peer pressure, oh the peer pressure,… When I see other bloggers updating every day, some times twice a day,… On my low days I would feel like a total blogging failure. Majority of the times, my b%$!* confidence would win the day, and I can tell myself, in a convincing manner, You are Fabulous, Your blog is fabulous! Yeah, my own BBT, Blog B%$!* Therapy.

Am looking forward to see all the changes on your blog. I have been planning a blog makeover for months. But since I am so full of nonsense, it is just happening the way I want it to be! Designers are bolting because of my very specific requirements…
.-= WhiteSockGirl´s last blog ..The Bitch Diary, (Wednesday, 16 September 2009) =-.

8 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I know! I don’t know how some bloggers do it. Honestly, I couldn’t imagine posting daily. Where do they find the time?!? I refuse to feel inadequate because I don’t write as much…at least that’s what I tell myself ;).

I got some great advice from a great friend once. Blog when I want. Don’t when I don’t. Walk away when I’m not feeling fulfilled anymore. ‘Nuff said.

9 Theta Mom September 17, 2009 at 6:47 am

I know exactly what you mean about finding a balance with this blogging thing. I also need to take somewhat of a step back because posting and commenting at this rate is VERY time consuming. I never thought blogging would be this awesome, yet this time consuming…

Facebook: I haven’t started this because I fear it will be like another addiction and one more thing for me to keep up. I am on twitter and that is my most recent addiciton!

And that video is AMAZING. I follow Oprah and she sent it on twitter. And I just love that song. At least you had a little time out at the hockey rink! LOL
.-= Theta Mom´s last blog ..Time Out For Theta Mom Thursday =-.

10 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Oh the commenting and reading!! I can’t believe how much time I’ve invested in making connections in the blogosphere. And I’m so thankful for them. I’m really glad I found bloggers like you and some others. But I’m starting to cut back on my commenting. I’m trying to instill a ‘comment when you have something to say, not because you feel obligated to leave a shiny comment gift’ attitude. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I love Facebook. I was on long before I blogged. It’s Twitter that eludes me a bit. I use that more as a social media marketing tool than a real social platform. I’m slowly starting to learn though. I’m trying to increase my @ tweets.

Hey, us Theat mom’s will take our time wherever we can find it, right? ;)

11 Yaya September 17, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Good luck with transitioning!
.-= Yaya´s last blog ..Save One Mammy! =-.

12 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Yaya.

13 Mimi September 18, 2009 at 9:08 am

You’re allowed to have a life. It’s ok! Thanks for the video too!
.-= Mimi´s last blog ..Wolves, Birds, and Other Animal News =-.

14 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed Mimi.

15 Susie's Homemade September 18, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I could have been in that crowd in Chicago but with this being my youngest’s first year in school, I decided to stay home and be there for her instead.
.-= Susie’s Homemade´s last blog ..Friday Foto Fun with Boo Boos =-.

16 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I totally understand your decision. What a cool thing though! I tell you, it really proves how cool Chicago is.

17 real style real people September 18, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Good luck- don’t even beat yourself up about the blogging thing- it feels freeing to let it go sometimes-and do it only when you can -it takes the pressure off and lets you enjoy it more! thanks for stopping by mine- I’ll be back!
.-= real style real people´s last blog ..Anna Sui for Target =-.

18 Carolyn September 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Hey thanks! Yes, it feels better to write when it doesn’t feel forced.