Warren Harold – Alternating Weekends

by Carolyn on August 22, 2009

Warren Harold - Guitar Hero

Warren Harold - Guitar Hero

I love visual art.  If you’re a regular reader here, you’ve probably noticed the images that accompany each post.  It’s so important to me to find just the right one; reflecting the tone and feel of my written work.   I love photography most of all.  I’ve never been very good at taking interesting pictures and I’m always inspired by those who can.  Imagine my excitement when I found a photo series displaying one impact of divorce.   Photographs taken by a father, himself a child of divorce, showcasing the Alternating Weekends he has with his son.  It’s magical.

As an introduction to the series, Harold writes:

“…. Spending as much time with him as I can and making the most of that time is natural and a critical part of every day. I don’t do it to compensate for my father’s mistakes, but I see more clearly what I missed and I swear to myself that I will never let him feel that vacuum.

An ongoing series of photographs, I strive to capture the beauty, humor, magic and pain I find in his youth and in our relationship as father and son.”

Warren Harold - Water Balloons

Warren Harold - Water Balloons

The pictures are both joyous and heartbreaking.  Displaying a love and wonder as well as yearning in the relationship between father and son.  I’m proud to share his work with you.

See the rest of this series and other work by Mr. Harold  HERE. Go.  If you enjoy pictures like I do, you’ll be glad you did.

1 Theta Mom August 23, 2009 at 11:36 am

Photography is such a beautiful art and he’s certainly the master of that here!
.-= Theta Mom´s last blog ..Rocks in My Jellies =-.

2 Carolyn August 23, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it Heather!

3 Urchin August 23, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I agree with Theta Mom, the photography is gorgeous. There’s a forlorn look to the images I’ve viewed so far. Forlorn, but whimsical at the same time. Maybe I’m projecting something onto the images (as is a trick with all art. We all see something that speaks directly to us, no matter the image, even if it’s just “this is bunk.”) Or maybe it actually is there. Torn between worlds. Mums and Da’s.

Even still, I love it. Particularly the floating in the pool. There’s just something… honest about that one.

4 Carolyn August 23, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed the series, Urchin. I think my favorite is the one of the pool ones too – the one of his son from behind. It reminds me so much of my own son. I also love the last one of him in the car. It has so much feeling behind it. Whether he’s waiting to make the trek back to his mom’s or has just arrived; there’s something intrinsically sorrowful about it.

It’s lovely to hear from you.

5 Urchin August 23, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Oh good. I’m not the only one seeing the sorrow. The state of “this won’t last”.

It’s lovely to be back. Life has calmed down a bit, a bit mind… it’s gonna be stressful, but that’s how it works I suppose.

6 Sharon August 24, 2009 at 9:16 am

What an interesting topic for your blog! I am not from a divorced family but so many are… great idea with lots of meaning!
I love pictures too. They speak volumes. The eyes hold so much emotion in both these pictures.
Over from SITS to say Hi… you were ahead of me on roll call.
.-= Sharon´s last blog ..Thankful Thursdays #6 =-.

7 Carolyn August 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm