In search of me – Day 29

by Carolyn on August 10, 2009

Mediocrity

Mediocrity

Have you settled for mediocrity?

1 Sandy August 10, 2009 at 7:56 am

Good morning! Stopping by from SITS. Interesting blog….maybe a little too thought-provoking for me so early….lol. Will check back after coffee.
.-= Sandy´s last blog ..Takin’ Care of Business =-.

2 Melissa B. August 10, 2009 at 7:56 am

I haven’t, but know so many people who have. The older I get, the more I see the Peter Principle all around me. SITS sent me over, and I’m glad they did!
.-= Melissa B.´s last blog ..The Color Purple =-.

3 Jen August 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving the great comment. I am not a child of divorce but believe me I do have my own set of issues.
.-= Jen´s last blog ..Potential Is A Four Letter Word =-.

4 Tammy August 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Nope. Life is to short and I learned that at a young age.

5 Carolyn August 10, 2009 at 9:17 pm

This question feels strange to me. A number of months ago I was told in not so many words that I had. And I was floored. Because as I take stock of my life I see nothing that resembles mediocrity to me. ‘Settling’ isn’t something I do. I try to be the very best wife, mother, friend, employee, etc. that I can be. I don’t do things half way. It’s just not me.

But I guess this question can come down to what it is you value. If what you value is a high paying job as opposed to one you love or a high social status as opposed to the quality of relationships, then my life may appear to be mediocre. For me, quality far outweighs quantity when it comes to the things in my life.

My job isn’t the highest paying in the world, but I’m happy to go every morning. My house isn’t the biggest or most immaculate in the world, but it’s comfortably lived in and filled with love. My cars aren’t the flashiest but nobody feels badly when something is spilled. We may not have the most money, but we live without financial worry and have planned for both our retirement and children’s educations. I may not be the most popular kid in town, but my friends truly value my friendship.

There’s always room for improvement. Without saying that, I truly would be settling. But mediocre? Nope. Not here, anyway.

6 Urchin August 15, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I don’t think I have. I have this mental image of what mediocrity is, and I don’t believe anyone I know has. Not really. When you fall into that “mediocrity” role, you stop dreaming of anything else. It simply is the way things are and the way things will always be.

I still have dreams. Stars above, do I have dreams (one of which is to become a Canuck! Full and true with papers to prove it!)