In search of me – Day 9

by Carolyn on July 21, 2009

Last chance by Hoflehner

Last chance by Hoflehner

What is one thing you really hope to do before you’re gone.

1 Urchin July 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

Make a positive difference in someone’s life, be it acknowledged or not.

To feel comfortable in my own skin, to feel worthy, pretty, wanted… People tell me all these things, yes, but I don’t FEEL them. I want that. To honestly feel it.

2 Tammy July 21, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Live happily ever after.

Seriously this is one thing I really want to be able to do. I want to go to sleep when I am 95 next to my husband (who will tell you he 94) and never wake up. Up until that point I want to be healthy and happy, no cancer, my mind intact. I want to give back to my community in some way. There are so many things I want to do in between, I just really want to chance to do them. And then maybe I will learn to play the guitar.

3 Carolyn July 21, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I had a really hard time getting this down to just one. I have two. One that is just for me; something I really do hope to do. The other is more organic. Just a part of who I am.

Okay, first. I would really like to see more of the world. I haven’t traveled much and it’s never really bothered me. I love home. And even when I’m having the most wonderful vacations, I’m always elated to return. But there are things I would like to see with my own eyes. The Louvre, the Greek Isles, the pyramids. I don’t know if I’ll achieve this in life, but it sure would be great.

The other is to see my children as adults. To watch them blossom into the incredible people they promise to be. I want a front row seat. I don’t want to miss a beat. I love them more than anything else. I am their biggest fans. And I’m looking forward to a lifetime of cheering.

**On a side note…..I’m on vacation right now. The questions will continue to be up every morning, and I’ll answer them each night. But I won’t be commenting on comments until I’m back home. So don’t think I’m ignoring you! I’m not. And I’ll be commenting again in no time. Cheers!

4 Maryann July 22, 2009 at 12:00 am

1: to find my own Happy ending.

2: Change the life of another person. I want to change the legal system in Texas so every one in the system in Texas has the chance to find their dream in Texas. I live in a state of old thinking and prejudice. I hope in my life time to see the end of this.

3: To see Nolan and Claire grow up into the amazing people they will be.

4. World peace in every cheesy seense. I hate war and hope one day there is no need for it.

5 Carolyn July 23, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Urchin – that *feeling* will come from within. And you will feel it. Your working hard. Self esteem work isn’t easy, but it reaps big rewards.

Tammy – that reminds me of the end of ‘The Notebook’. I love it.

6 David March 31, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Of course as mentionned above, about family and life but what Urchin said sits with the new me.
“Make a positive difference in someone’s life, be it acknowledged or not”
I want to try and do things in life for others without the need for recognition. Most of my life the little lie inside was always there hoping that someone would notice my good deed and give me the credit.
A story about a woman in our city last year who woke up the residents of the home when their house was on fire and saved their lives. Some would think wow that’s great she then went to the bank machine returned to the scene and gave the couple $500 because christmas was coming. The residents tried to get her name so they could thank her and all she said was Thank God I had it to give. Much like her I want to be able to do that.

7 Carolyn March 31, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been trying to do achieve this too. And along with that I’m trying to intentionally not make a point of saying when others are wrong or have made a mistake that is reflecting on me. At work a couple of weeks ago, something happened (I don’t even remember the details), but the gist of it was that someone made a mistake that was now sitting squarely in my lap. My boss questioned me and although it was almost burning down my throat to say ‘it wasn’t me’ or even ‘it was her’, I forced myself not to. Then I forced myself not to say to the person who had erred ‘you owe me one’.

I was kind of surprised when it actually felt good just knowing inside that I had done the right thing. If my boss had asked me the details, I would have told him but he never did.