In search of me – Day 4

by Carolyn on July 16, 2009

tree pose

tree pose

Okay, back to work folks:

Do you have a passion?  If so, what is it?  If not, do you wish you did and what do you think it could be?

I have one stipulation for this question.  Don’t include your loved ones as passions.  Therefore children, husbands, boyfriends, parents and anyone else are all excluded.  It’s a given that each of us are passionate about our families.  But I want this to be something that you do only for you, not anybody else.

{ 1 trackback }

Disallowing My Self Destruction — The Grown Up Child
November 15, 2009 at 12:07 am

1 Frank July 16, 2009 at 9:34 am

As absurd as this sounds…. superheroes. I grew up running around with a towel tied around my neck, reading comic books and watching Batman re-runs on Channel 5 five days a week. I just never outgrew it. I’m so glad they’re making such great superhero films these days. It’s like a dream come true. :)

2 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I’m right there with you! Lucky me, I found a show called Who Wants To Be A Superhero, and auditioned for the second season, making a vast number of new friends/acquaintances and starting a not-for-profit organization with them. Skiffytown. Gotta love it.

3 Tammy July 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I love to read. It can be pretty much anything. I will even admitt I loved the twilight series and am now enjoying a new series. I am also looking forward to reading the true blood series. It is something I do just for me. And where I am at in my life(no regrets though), I need “me time”.

4 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:26 pm

ooh I need a new good book series. After Potter ended the way it did (-twitch, twitch-) I haven’t found a new series to really get me excited. There’s one… but more books haven’t been published yet. He knows who he is. Or he better. So if you have any suggestions?…

5 Maryann July 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I really enjoy Baking/Cooking but I don’t know if I would enjoy it as much if I didn’t have someone to share it with. I don’t think I have something that I am really passionate about that is just for me. I like to read but don’t love it. Same goes for scrapbooking, gardening and most other hobbies I have tried. I guess my passion is bringing Joy and happiness to others. I wish it would be Dancing. I like watching TV shows that have something to do with Dancing and envy the people that are on the shows. I have 2 left feet so instead of being a Dancer, I will settle for baking Cakes.

6 Tammy July 16, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I wish I could dance as well. My husband and I started taking ballroom dancing lessons and we loved it. Now with three kids it is harder to find a sitter. I want to do it again, we laughed the whole time b/c I was always trying to lead(control freak). You should try it, two left feet or not. It is a lot of fun!

7 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:26 pm

mm cookies.

8 Carolyn July 16, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, I think I’m going to answer ‘no’ here. I have been passionate about lots of things but I don’t think I would consider them my passions. At one time, I was very passionate about doing yoga. At another, I was passionate about kickboxing. I am passionate about reading, while I’m reading a good book. But I am not driven to do these things. Two of them I don’t even practice anymore.

When I think of my passion, I think of something I could not live without doing. Something that is defining to my life. I really struggled today thinking that maybe writing or this blog is my passion. But although I’m passionate about it now, I don’t know yet if it will become something I could not separate from my life. Maybe it will. It’s all so new.

If I did have a passion (and I really wish I did), I would hope for it to be in the fine arts. Either writing, playing an instrument, dance (but I really kind of missed the boat here), or singing (trust me, not happening) would be what I could see my life moulding around. I still really want to learn the violin. I should stop talking about it and just do it already.

But there are two other things I have been passionate about that I still dream of doing from time to time. The first is teaching. I really miss it. I don’t have any desire to teach children or teenagers but I love lecturing. I could lecture every day and be happy. No, really. I’m serious. The second is community work. I initiated a community program for the homeless and those at risk of homelessness and I absolutely loved every minute of it. Once my children are older I could see this emerging as my passion.

So I guess I’ll have to just see. I’m determined to have one. I just wonder what it will turn out to be. Writing? Playing? Lecturing? Community work? I’m looking forward to finding out.

9 Tammy July 16, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I hear you play a mean guitar hero. lol Maybe try rock band next time. You sing play guitar and play the drums!

10 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Keep trying. Pick up new talents. Water your talent tree (as a friend of mine would say. She told me that once, I was in a bad place and told her we were in a drought. )

I hope you find your passion.

11 Carolyn July 17, 2009 at 9:32 am

“Water your talent tree” That’s great! And your response was pretty good too :)

12 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:35 pm

There’s nothing really I can live without, except for the basics. Even my beloved Canucks. I was existing just fine (HA!) in life before I was even introduced to the noble art and sport of hockey.

I can live without my comic books, my theatre, the plays and scripts I cleave to. I enjoy a great many things, know more about the roasting and brewing of coffee than I think a lot of people have a right to know. I have plans to open a coffee and tea house eventually, but I can live without it.

I too want a passion. Something that drives me forward. Something beyond my desire to survive. To live. If only to prove to people I can. That I won’t let certain events take precedence over my life. Even though, in reality, they have in so many ways.

I want to keep surviving. Better yet, LIVING. truly living. Doing all the things I want to try, laughing at all the things that make me laugh. I want to be loved, hugged, told I’m pretty. I need to know that I’ve done something to change someone’s life for the better. I don’t want to become a leech on society. A leech on the people around me. And I’m terrified of being useless.

So if a passion can be NOT being something. Then that’s it. I don’t want to be a victim. And I’m working on that. Truly working on it.