In search of me – Day 1

by Carolyn on July 13, 2009

Looking Within by Judi Forney

Looking Within by Judi Forney

Okay, for our first question I am going to go rather light and easy.  We have a long month ahead of us.  Let’s start by dipping our toes:

What are your two most special talents?  The two things you do better than most people?

1 Carolyn July 13, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been thinking all afternoon. Two talents. I thought of one right away but the second has been more difficult to put my finger on. Why did I ask for two? lol I’d better not start complaining already. Here it is:

1. I have a talent for communicating. I was going to say writing, but it’s not just that. I am also a pretty talented public speaker. I think part of this comes from the fact that I’m never a victim of my emotions (surprise, surprise) so nerves don’t really factor in. And the other part is that I just seem to have a knack for expressing myself through words. Either when writing or speaking I am always considering my word choices. The connotations of words really *mean* something to me. If I choose the word ‘leery’ over ‘worry’, there is a reason why. And lucky for me I have pretty extensive vocabulary to pull from. So that’s number 1.

2. I am extremely perceptive. When I’m around people, I am constantly studying them. They say that most of us listen to body language more than verbal language. I take this to an extreme. I notice the most minute details. The slight arch of an eyebrow, a subtle lean away. A glance down. I think this talent has been honed because I am always adjusting myself based on my perception of others. And just as I’m always thinking about my word choices, I’m always listening to yours. The words you choose tell me so much more than just what you are saying. They give your speech life. And I’m always watching and listening. My perception or ‘gut’ feeling on people is rarely wrong. Even when I’m hoping it will be. I’m rarely surprised. I usually see most things coming. My #2 talent. Both a gift and a curse at times.

2 Frank July 14, 2009 at 1:15 am

Okay, Carolyn. I’ll play.

1. My creativity. I’ve been pretty lucky to have a knack for almost every creative endeavor I’ve tried. Art, writing, filmmaking… it all just comes easy to me and nothing gets me going like sinking my teeth into a project that inspires me.

2. I am unreasonably fearless. Emotionally, that is. I wouldn’t get into the ring with a boxing kangaroo or swim with piranha, but when it comes to emotional risk-taking, I’m the champ. I’m not the slightest bit scared of getting bloody if there’s a chance for happiness on the other side of it. If you think moving to China was gutsy, I once moved to *Canada.*

3 Urchin July 14, 2009 at 1:48 am

“Easy” she says. I’m already having to think. I know what people say I do well, but it comes down to what [i]I[/i] feel like I do well, doesn’t it?

Time to think.

I don’t suppose filling out a corset counts as a talent does it?

Right. Back to thinking.

1) I have the uncanny talent to hear the television or a movie even when I, or someone else is talking. I can follow right along with the plot, the lines, and even the set. I’ve been called a ‘freak’ because of it. Also along the same lines is you can put me on “pause” go off on a tangent, then “unpause” me and I’ll pick right back up where I left off, without having lost what you said. I don’t really know other people who can do this, but I’m sure there’s someone out there.

2) I don’t know that I actually have a second talent that I do better than other people. All in all I’m pretty average on the talent scale. I can do several things well, but not better than most. At least, not as I see it.

4 Tammy July 14, 2009 at 9:59 am

I agree that this isn’t that easy. But here goes.

1)Loving my boys. I know it is cheesey. But no one loves them or cares for them better than me. It is my job and I tend to be a perfectionist at what I choose as a career. I am pretty sure my husband would agree with this. He loves them too but he often says he doesn’t know how I do it everyday. Yes it may seem like groundhog day most days and your bosses are 4,2 &2mths but what boss in the real world hasn’t had a temper tantrum or whined all day at some point in their careers. But at the end of the day the best pay check for me is hearing ” you are the bestest mommy in the world world” and the endless kisses and hugs.

2) Well this goes back to careers as well. I think I was a pretty damn good Dental Assistant. It was one of very few things in my life where I was confident. I know my boss loves me still and I am pretty sure he would hire me back when and if I decide to go back to the work world. I was very efficient and extremely “anal” and orderly about everything. My operatory was mine and I always knew when someone had been in it to borrow something. That is how anal my things were placed in it. Wish I could say the same for my house now days but when you are not the only one using it, it is not totally in your control.

I also think it is easier to think of what others are the best at. It is really hard to “toot your own horn” , for me atleast. Thanks Carolyn for asking us to do this. It was a lot harder than I could have imagined.

5 Peter Pan July 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Talents vs skill is difficult for me to deduce.
1) In my comfort area “work” (large industrial setting)I am a terrific leader, able to handle any problems of the day and make the best descisions on a wimp mostly because of my experience, knowledge and I thrive on being the go to guy.
2) In my personnal life reason. I find myself often playing devils advocate for the losing side of the arguement. I like to discuss even argue points and I find I’m very good at it when properly informed.

6 Carolyn July 14, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Wonderful job! You were all so honest. It was important to me for us to start with recognizing and reflecting on a couple of our strengths. We will always have these, here. When you are struggling with an answer to one of my questions in the future, come back here and remember that no matter how dark you can be, you also possess this ray of light.

And thanks to Frank, Urchin, Tammy and Peter for participating with me today!

7 Maryann July 16, 2009 at 5:05 pm

1: I speak my mind. In most cases without a filter which has its ups and downs. Over the past few years I have been able to filter it a bit but I still have a long way to go.

2: Mediator. At work or at home, I am usually the one hearing both sides of the story and putting the puzzle back together.

8 Thera August 19, 2009 at 4:17 am

So this is the part where I”m standing in line waitting to get on the rollercoaster. Here goes!

1. My first would be like Franks my creativity. I like to paint, draw, make puppets, work with clay, wood burn ect. My problem is I am a jack of all trades but a master of none. Everyone loves my work but I can’t get the nerve to do anything with it because I’m always thinking that there is so many other people who are so much better.

2. I guess the second would be my ability to council and play devils advocate and see a situation from several different sides. Reality is I can never do this for myself though lol.

9 Carolyn August 19, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Welcome Thera! I hope you enjoy answering my questions. You’re off to a great start!

10 Holly October 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm

i am way late on this one but i want to participate…
i am sure you won’t mind…

talent 1 – you won’t find my artwork hanging in a museum but i love to paint, draw, doodle and i am pretty good at it… i was challenged to paint a picture of Santa Clause and it is awesome…

talent 2 – decorating… i can put almost anything together and make it look like it should be on in a magazine…

is it bad that it didn’t take me all day to think of these?

11 Carolyn October 8, 2009 at 12:31 am

Those are awesome talents! I wish I was more creative. I struggle with suppressing my analytical side enough to be creative.