Happy birthday baby blog!

by Carolyn on July 14, 2009

Happy 1 Month Birthday

Happy 1 Month Birthday!

It was one month ago today that I asked two people to type www.thegrownupchild.ca into their web browsers and tell me what they thought of this place.  I had only one post completed: ‘Take a deep breath….and write!’.  I had been working for a week solid on getting a web server, downloading programs, uploading those programs, learning code, custom styling and writing.  I was so nervous!  I was sure that the one person, my good friend Frank Fradella would say it looked amateurish.  I was sure that the other person, my mom would tell me I was crazy.  But neither of them did.  They both were completely supportive and complimentary.  They were both excited.  And I found through their excitement that my nervousness melted away a bit; allowing me to get excited myself.

So then it came time to spread the news.  I tweeted on Twitter, which was relatively painless because I don’t really know most of those folks anyway.  Then I posted a link to this site in my status on Facebook.  That was a bit harder because I knew it would prompt a stream of actual friends and family coming.  Then I wrote an email announcing my project and sent it to nearly everyone in my address book.  That was the hardest step.  My husband Steve was sitting next to me as I waivered over the ‘send’ button.  He actually clicked it for me.  Impatient for me to get on with it.

And the rest is history, or so they say.  I have been both inspired and encouraged by the incredibly supportive feedback I have received.  I have also enjoyed the feedback in which strong readers challenged me, urging me to take another look within myself.  I have been humbled by the bravery of a good handful of you who have shared your own stories with me, either publicly on the site or privately in email.  I can hardly articulate what this entire experience has meant to me.  Allowing me to stretch my legs in a medium which I haven’t before.  And most importantly giving me the strength and the platform to display my self exploration.  If I could sum it up in one word it would simply be…awesome.

As I look at my analytics for the month, I am happy to report that there does seem to be life here at thegrownupchild.ca.  In her first month, she has seen over 250 visitors over 650 times.  Traffic to the site averages about 30 visits a day and has been viewed in 17 countries (thank you, Frank) from Canada and the US to England, South Korea, Australia, China, Germany and Japan.  Honestly, I have nothing to compare this to.  I have absolutely no idea if this is average or not.  But the fact that I’m not the one and only visitor makes me pretty happy.  I have high hopes for this place and a lot of long term goals.  But with one month under my belt I am calling this venture a success in the making.

So thank you dear readers.  It has been truly my pleasure.  I hope you continue to enjoy reading what you find here.  Please feel free to comment on anything you like; or don’t like for that matter.  I am only looking forward to our journey ahead.

Carolyn

1 Jodi July 14, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Congrats!! You continue to amaze me with your never ending talents!! Our family gained one very special girl when Steve married you!!

2 Carolyn July 15, 2009 at 9:55 am

Such a nice comment Jodi. Thank you!

3 Tammy July 14, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Congrats Carolyn! Can’t wait to read more!

4 Carolyn July 15, 2009 at 9:56 am

Thanks Tammy!

5 steve July 14, 2009 at 11:12 pm

When you first told me you were thinking of starting a blog I thought you were crazy! Now, one month later I know your not crazy but very talented and creative. I wish you all the success in the world and support you all the way! Keep up the great work but don’t forget your family still needs their special time with you!
love always,
Steve, Nolan and Claire

6 Carolyn July 15, 2009 at 9:59 am

Thanks Steve! And yes, this has been time consuming. I’m hoping to become better organized and more ‘balanced’ very soon. Hey, you know the laundry fairy might actually make an appearance today! We’ll see. She’s been pretty busy lately. :)

7 Frank July 15, 2009 at 12:49 am

What? What is this? I come here looking for some soul-churning, gut-wrenching question that forces me to examine my life, my self, my decisions… and I find this sentimental “group hug” post of sappiness.

Sing “Kumbaya” on your own time, lady! Get back to work! :)

8 Carolyn July 15, 2009 at 10:01 am

Yes sir! (returns to gut-wrenching work) But I am curious oh blog guru; how do my numbers look? In newborn terms of course.

9 Frank July 16, 2009 at 2:05 am

You’re off to a great start! But I don’t want you to get discouraged next month if you see a slight (or sharp) decline in those numbers. Your first outing (be it an issue or an episode of anything) will usually have an inflated number for the “look-in” audience; the folks who just want to look in and see what it’s all about. You may lose a good number of them and it may take you some months to return to these numbers and then build from there.

On the OTHER hand, your content is really strong and you may be as lucky as I was with LINGO. My look-in audience not only stayed, but they brought their friends in the following weeks. I hope you do as well, if not better!

10 Hardeep July 15, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Congrats Carolyn, I am so proud of you for not feeling intimidated by all that you had to do inorder to begin this project. I will admit that when I first learned about this site I wasn’t going to visit because I thought that I would nothing to take away from it seeing as how I was not from a home of parents who were divorced but after reading several of your writings they have made me think about myself and I love how you open up so much about yourself. You truly have a gift, thank you for sharing it with us.

11 Carolyn July 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Hardeep! I’m glad you have felt like you gained something by reading my posts. Welcome!

12 Urchin July 16, 2009 at 11:39 pm

It was a wonderful day when Frank sent me over to this blog. A place where I could read, and see that I wasn’t alone, even if our situations were/are entirely different in so many ways. They’re also eerily similar.

Your way with words (you word smith you!) impresses and touches me in ways that are difficult for ANYTHING to do. I say this, because some of your posts, and what I’ve written in response, have made me cry. A very difficult task.

Thank you. For helping me to open up. For being out here on the interwebs. For sharing your talent, your scars, and your laughter.

13 Carolyn July 17, 2009 at 9:26 am

Your welcome! And thank you for reading. I also love the fact that despite our differences, at heart we are very much the same. It *always* feels better to know you aren’t alone. It’s the primary reason I started this site so thank you again for helping me to recognize my goals!

14 Urchin July 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Oh you aren’t getting rid of me. You’re far, FAR too interesting and literate. ‘Fraid you’re stuck with your blog-stalker. ;)

15 Carolyn July 17, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Good. I’m glad you’re here to stay. I wouldn’t want to need to become a blog reader-stalker!